Translate

Thursday, October 9, 2014

It was going so well..

Max felt great tonight..until he threw his other shoe. Sigh.

I thought that shoe looked suspect when I cleaned it out before our ride. His hoof was starting to look too big for it...probably growth from his hoof supps. Not really knowing if it were a big deal or not I decided to hop on anyway and focus on some light work.

Our walk isn't as solid as I'd like it to be. A lot of times Max gets really slow and hokey in the walk, and when I ask for something peppier he'd start trotting. I focused on getting him moving off my leg with half halts to keep him from taking it into a trot. He's been so forward lately it doesn't take much.

After fifteen minutes of circles, leg yields and serpentines we moved on to some trot and a fun easy-going canter. About the second time around a circle was when his shoe came clean off, taking a chunk of hoof with it!

Great.

The rest of the time was spent wrapping his foot with the life-saving diaper, vet wrap and duct tape combo. Oh and cuddles..lots and lots of cuddles!


4 comments:

  1. Darn. I'm sorry to hear that Carol. Unfortunately, hoof issues are rarely a quick fix. Hang in there, it will get better. At least it ended with lots of cuddles:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Amila! Yeah..one day his feet will be better..plus it could always be worse. Trying to stay thankful that he is not hurt and to keep myself from spiraling down into the pit of panicky paranoia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww boo. bummer that it tore up the hoof too :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah :( he has an identical chunk missing on the other side…I guess if anything it'll grow back evenly...

      Delete