Translate

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Lesson Day : Keeping the inside leg still

Lesson day today! Hooray! Had J check out my new bridle fit and she says it all looks good, except we may need a larger brow band.

Unlike the tranquil horse yesterday, Max was a nut ball during tack up this morning. I just don't get it...something must trigger it but I can't quite nail it down yet!

We had a great session with J, as usual! And like always she found lots of things for me to work on for homework. One of the major ones was getting him more put together at the canter. The major culprit? My swingy pendulum legs.

What a way to test the limits of my athleticism...if you can even call it that! Keeping my inside leg stable at the girth deemed a lot harder than it sounds. But what it did was give Max a clear message of what I wanted, and it allowed me to be able to turn my upper body while solidly planting myself around his barrel.

We also covered stuff like keeping my outside arm from creeping forward, and not using the inside reign so much as it should be inside leg to outside reign.

So looking forward to the rainy week ahead >.<


4 comments:

  1. nice lesson! for whatever reason, i think the canter shows off weaknesses in position more than any other gait. at least, that's how it is for me. i'm thinking more stirrupless work will help??? anyways, boo rain :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! I think stirrupless work will definitely help! Will try that in our next ride. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I need more lower leg strength as well! I'm working on doing some two-point work, as well as double posting (up up, down), instead of up down, up down).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I'll be throwing that in as well - thank you!

      Delete