Translate

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Smelling the roses, ignoring the thorns.


Tonight I was griping to my husband about my current situation with horse-ownership. The long drive to the barn in rush hour traffic. Not being able to see and pet Max everyday, much less ride him. The crazy amount of money I've spent, and will continue to be spending (bye bye retirement money). The fact that I drive all the way there after a tedious day at work, ride for barely half an hour, achieving my goals less often than I hope. Then the long drive back home on the crazy, unlit two lane highway littered with road construction.

Sometimes these issues creep into my mind and affect my riding. Suddenly I'm rushing, or I feel like I need to really push myself and Max to hit a goal. Just to make it all worth it.

Luckily I married my voice of reason and he reminded me that despite it all, I'm always excited to go again and again. That while I'm there I should forget about the things that bring me down and focus on what brings me up. Because in the end what really matters is that we take the time to enjoy the good stuff. And when we do, everything else becomes irrelevant. The thorns get cut away so all that's left is the sweet simple joy of the bouquet.


7 comments:

  1. You married a wise man! It's so easy to get caught up in everything and forget to enjoy all of the awesome around us! Thanks for the reminder:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Always helps to look on the better side of things! It shouldn't be too hard for such a positive person such as yourself!

      Delete
  2. good thing for reasonable husbands!! the 'value' of horses is what they mean to us - not arbitrary goals other people set. good perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally…a lot like having a kid I guess…but horses are so much more fun ;)

      Delete
  3. Its easy to get wrapped up in stuff, and I totally get it in regards to Traffic, but yeah I figure sitting in traffic to ride is better than the drugery of work itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic is my ultimate frustration! Luckily I love my job so I don't mind the hours there..if only I could hop over to the barn in five minutes after work, or even for a lunchtime ride! How awesome would that be!

      Delete
    2. yes please! lunchtime rides sound wonderful!!!

      Delete